Did you know we are now serving delicious Acai Bowls? Not only are they an instagrammable sensation – but they taste great and are GREAT for you as well!
What is an Acai Berry?
Acai berries are 1-inch (2.5-cm) round fruits that grow on acai palm trees in the rainforests of Central and South America. They have a dark purple skin and yellow flesh surrounding a large seed.
Because they contain pits like apricots and olives, they’re technically not a berry, but rather a drupe. Nevertheless, they’re commonly referred to as berries.
In the Amazon rainforest, acai berries frequently accompany meals.
Why are they fabulous for you?
Acai berries have a unique nutritional profile for a fruit, as they’re somewhat high in fat and low in sugar.
100 grams of frozen fruit pulp has the following nutritional breakdown:
- Calories: 70
- Fat: 5 grams
- Saturated fat: 1.5 grams
- Carbs: 4 grams
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fiber 2 grams
- Vitamin A: 15% of the recommended daily amount
- Calcium: 2% of the recommended daily amount
But, that’s not all, these four top facts have us eating one for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
- Acai is incredibly rich in antioxidants, boasting three times the amount found in blueberries!
- Many studies have suggested that acai may help lower blood cholesterol levels.
- In other studies, acai has shown potential as an anti-cancer agent. More studies are needed to determine its effect in humans.
- Acai may counteract the damaging effects of inflammation and oxidation in the brain and help stimulate its “housekeeping” response.
What’s your favorite way to take your Acai Bowl?
Come get one, or two – and reap the benefits today!